Conventional just isn‛t right.
- GMOs have taken over the conventional cotton industry. Genetically modified cotton now accounts for a staggering 90- 95 per cent of cotton seed worldwide. Sterile GMO seeds break the natural cycle of regeneration and threaten bio-diversity, wildlife, and soil micro-organisms; all of which have devastating environmental implications.
- Cotton has some of the highest pesticide and chemical use. According to PANNA, cotton fields account for more than 10% of total pesticide use and nearly 25% of insecticide use worldwide.
- Conventional cotton is not fair to farmers. According to a WHO estimate, up to 40,000 deaths and 3 million cases of health problems are directly caused by agricultural pesticide poisoning each year.
The Organic alternative is better.
Our cotton is grown, processed, dyed and made into clothing according to GOTS organic standards. This simply means that the entire production chain follows strict organic processes to provide a completely environmental product.
- Organic cotton is grown with natural means and uses sustainable practices.These include manual farming, using high quality resilient seed varieties, crop rotation, water conserving methods and botanical pest control. The soil is enriched and healthy so it requires fewer external applications and treatments.
- The eco-friendly processing uses recycled water, bio fuels, reduces electric use and conserves and recycles resources. We use non-chlorine bleach, silicone-free softeners and low impact, azo-free dyes that do not create a hazard to health and environment.
- Strict testing is conducted to ensure the absence of hazardous elements like nickel, lead, formaldehyde, amines, pesticides and heavy metals.
Who benefits when you buy organic cotton?
- Farmers and rural communities: Being safer, ecological and fair, organic farming directly benefits farmers and their families and allows them a life of dignity.
- Factory and mill workers: Organic standards ensure that safe ingredients are used which do not compromise workers‛ health.
- Our planet: Organic farming practices are regenerative. Crop rotation and manual cultivation maintain healthy soil, use less fossil fuels and sequester carbon dioxide, helping combat global warming. Better water management conserves this increasingly scarce resource.
- Wildlife: Birds and animals are spared poisonous pesticides and toxic chemicals in soil, air and water.
- Consumers: Organic cotton just feels better for the body, mind and soul! People with chemical sensitivity especially seek out natural, untreated organic cotton.
- Citizens of this Earth: It‛s a small world after all! We are all affected by the production and application of pesticides and poisons.
By choosing organic products, we are using our consumer power well and adding our voice to the environmental movement.